Ammonia (NH3) Volatization
The release of fugitive nitrogen as ammonia gas (molecular NH3) poses a challenge and severe risk in a number of industries. The Solvita Ammonia test kit is a practical and low-cost means to evaluate concentrations and monitor management practices.
EVALUATING AND MONITORING AMMONIA IS IMPORTANT FOR:
- On-farm animal litter and bedding packs which may result in a health hazard to animals and farm workers.
- Composting emissions which are noxious, plant toxic and NOx precursors. Ammonia lost during composting can result in significant nuisance, building damage, the slowing down of stabilization with carbon, and reduction in commercial value of the product.
- Manufactured soil amendments high in protein that readily form ammonia on soil-contact – these may directly harm plants, especially seedlings.
- Household pet litter control causes an ammonia nuisance.
- Aquaculture systems and fish tanks where fish feed and fecal matter generates free dissolved ammonia.
IN ALL THESE AREAS, THE SOLVITA AMMONIA TEST CAN HELP.